Saturday, January 5, 2013

"Woo Hoo! What a Ride!"


Wrapped in a blanket of December snow, 2012 came to a close while 2013 eagerly skated in on the blades of a January chill. I hope all of you enjoyed the holidays - I know I did. My end of the year was filled with family from both near and far; giving and receiving of special gifts; smiles and laughter; lots of good food and a few quiet moments as well. I received a number of special gifts during the holidays but the one that sums it up the most for me was the framed quote that my mother gave me which states "Life should not be a journey to the grave with intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo What a Ride'!!" … I believe it was George Carlin that made that statement … but I couldn't have said it better myself! And what a ride 2012 turned out to be! Hopefully you all had a successful year. I know I am proud to say I accomplished a number of items on my bucket list.

Just this year I managed to:

1. Start writing a blog
2. Attend a Blue Man Group Performance
3. Experience a Hibachi Grill
4. Attend a St. Louis Cardinals baseball game.
5. Attend a Kansas City Royals baseball game.
6. Publish my first book
7. Watch my first volleyball game -- thanks Karissa for playing
8. Become a Notary Public
9. Spend many quality moments with my family
10. ... and a few other things.

Not bad, if I do say so myself... However, I have many things I still need to accomplish ... So thank God for the New Year!! It is time to start again on a whole set of New Year’s Resolutions and action plans for bucket list items. Last year when I started this blog, I created a number of "Pages" on the right hand side of the screen regarding bucket lists and the approach I recommend. So, whether you are new to my website or just need a refresher, please review the pages on the right.  (So what if you haven’t made (or kept) a New Year’s Resolution in years … this may be your year!)  Personally, I hopped on board right away again this year and got started on my list. Although it is only January 5th, the tickets to one of the three baseball games/stadiums my family and I plan to attend this year have already arrived.  (Before the end of the year we will be a third of the way to reaching our family goal of attending games at all of the major league baseball stadiums ... we are excited!) We are also hoping to check out a show on Broadway this year; and so far I have managed to drag myself onto the treadmill each  morning of 2013.

So whether you plan to take this new year by treadmill, speed boat or roller coaster, please join me as I hop aboard and give the new year a ride .... are you with me? Let me hear a "Woo Hoo!!"

No comments: