Friday, February 3, 2012

There Must Be a Reason for Everything (Don't Worry, Be Happy)



I am not a person who likes change.  I have never liked anyone "moving my cheese" as they say!  However, my cheese seems to have been traveling at the speed of light in recent years and I have been attempting to make my way through the maze of possible reasons.

I believe that everything happens for a reason … some may believe this and some may not, but I happen to think it is true.  Circumstances change and people come in and out of our lives ... teachers, neighbors, coworkers, bosses, doctors, friends and loved ones ... all leading us on a path … there to teach us something to bring with us on our journey through life.  Some people may teach us how to be calm amidst adversity and others may teach us how to face our fears and dive in to the thing we have been dreaming of doing. We can choose to learn from our experiences, be thankful for them, decide to do something with the insight we've gained ... or we can sit back and forfeit our happiness, wondering why things happened and worrying when the next big thing will come!

I used to be a person who worried about everything … little things, big things … things I could control and things I could do nothing about – about the weather, what people might think, about work, etc.  I even worried about finding a doctor to go to since my usual one left.  But mostly I worried about the health and safety of my loved ones and myself!

Eventually, I figured out that worry REALLY does no good at all … it simply robs you of your happiness!  The only thing I have found to cure worries is to ask yourself what you can DO TODAY to prevent the things that worry you!  (But realize that for some things there is actually nothing you can do – for those things I say “let go and let God!”)  But for the things that you can try to do something about … go ahead and DO something ... yes, make more action plans ... action plans to take charge of your worries before your worries take charge of you!

For example, with a family history of health issues, I have always been one to take preventative action!  I am not one to sit around waiting for my turn at ill health!  Trying to eat healthy and exercise daily and trying to make sure your family does the same (all definitely easier said than done) are a few things you can do to help assure good health.  Another thing you can do is to have regular checkups and exams such as mammograms, pap tests, prostate exams, colonoscopies, dermatology checkups etc … anything to be proactive.  I strongly urge this of my readers!  After I found a new doctor that is, like me, proactive, I recently went through some extensive testing … and when it was all said and done, the tests all came back fine – I am a picture of health and I am grateful.  But why?  Maybe the reason was simple – I just needed to find a doctor who understood, could ease my mind and let me remain in control of my happiness … or maybe it had something more to do with  my favorite angel …I don’t know … but after all, there Must be a Reason for Everything ... 
   


No comments: