Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Smile Amid the Crowd


It has been a very busy week!!  Mostly, it has been a week of running to activities with the kids -- not to mention the early morning exercise classes, and full days of work at the office, as well as housework (well, okay, I didn't do much housework) but it has definitely been a busy week!  There was literally at least one activity every single night this week and I am starting to wonder if I am coming or going!  :)

Monday was the first day of activities.  My mother and I drove 30-45 minutes to attend my son's JV  basketball game out of town to cheer from the stands.   Tuesday was a bit of a challenge!  We essentially had to be two places at once since both kids had nearly conflicting activities ... so, my mother ran my daughter to her activity where she needed to be early to practice her routine ... meanwhile, my husband and I drove to our son's JV basketball game nearly an hour away.  We watched as long as we could and then left to rush back home in time to watch our daughter perform her cheerleading routine at half time of the girls game.  Whew -we made it in time!  We joined her proud Grandparents in the stands to watch.  She did an awesome job -- she and another girl even did the splits!  (By the way, my son’s team won their game by one point -- yeah team!)  Wednesday was a slightly slower evening of running -- I simply had to drop my daughter off at her series of dance classes and run errands while I waited.  Thursday I left work early (thankfully I work in a family-friendly atmosphere with an understanding boss) picked up my daughter, met my mother and headed to yet another of my son's basketball games.  Friday was the final game of the season!  My husband and I tried to arrive early because the stands were filling fast!  Although I absolutely love watching basketball games, I am ready to take a short break from the running ... and ready to move on to watch him excel in the next sports season (is it – my favorite – baseball season yet?)

I am not trying to wear you out with our schedule, nor am I trying to brag about my "busy-ness" -- I know that many parents out there can quickly relate to our scenario!  It is not that we need to have such a hectic schedule ... we choose to give our children many opportunities and choose to share in their achievements. I am well aware of the fact that our lives will not be like this for long … our time with our children is precious and I am determined to savor every moment that we have together today … for all too soon, they will be grown! 

I feel that my children need to know that what they are doing is important and that, win or lose, I will always be their biggest fan!  I am proud of my kids ... proud of course because my son is talented in sports and is one of only a few freshmen to regularly play on the JV basketball team; and proud because my daughter is a talented dancer and was chosen to dance/compete at the Iowa State Fair; and proud of both of my kids for getting good grades.  Of course I am proud of all that!  But mostly, I am proud because my son's heart goes out to his teammates when they don't get a chance to play and because my daughter has the courage to dance on stage in front of many and to attend a cheerleading camp on her own.  Perhaps in all this, they are learning the values I am trying to teach them ... the values of compassion and courage and strength to name a few.  I am very proud to be the constant smile amid the crowd, there to share in their accomplishments ... I am proud to be their mom! 

No comments: