Thursday, December 6, 2018

December Perceptions


The first of December heaved us into winter with a blustery snowfall and lured us into the holidays with the spirit of Christmas.  Outside the safety of my living room window, the roads grew ice covered and slick, and I was glad our kids were a bit further south where the weather was not quite as brisk.  By Sunday morning, the weather had calmed to a gentle snowfall and my husband and I decided to take a road trip to have lunch with our kids before they buckled down to start studying for upcoming college finals.  I am not typically a fan of winter weather roads, but as long as my husband was behind the wheel, I was up for the drive.  My heart was full and I enjoyed the sentiment that encompassed our conversation as we proceeded down the road for the next hour or so.  Just outside our vehicle windows, the tranquility of the fresh snowfall stretched out before us.  The morning sunlight sparkled and danced among the frosted trees while blankets of snow, laced with sunshine, protected the hills as they rolled softly into the horizon.  In the distance, a snow angel's presence graced the landscape with a peaceful glow as if touched by the heavens.

Just a week ago, I had surgery on my eyes to correct cataracts that had been trying to cloud my vision since birth.  After being destined to wear glasses the majority of my life; suddenly, I was able to see into the distance with 20/20 vision, and my new eyes blessed me with a perspective of the world that I hadn't seen in years.  That morning I was a bit surprised to detect that individual tree branches bore tiny twigs that sprouted hope from each limb.  Chubby squirrels could be found scurrying into trees with cheeks full of nuts, and I was drawn to a vibrant, red cardinal patiently watching over the world from its' perch high above.  Curiously, in the distance, snowmen with carrot noses waited patiently for young children, and houses held stories inside the dimly lit windows of their homes.  And so, my thoughts were drawn out into the world ...

Typically, my perspective is filled with my own present moments and my heart tends to overflow with gratitude (at least most of the time).  However, once in a while, especially around the holidays, I sometimes find my perspective to be a little bit off kilter.  I find myself longing for the fictional perfection found in Hallmark movies and fairy tales, while social media dangles glimpses of glamorous lives as others want us to see them.  It can be easy to forget that there is a reality behind every perfect picture and a continued (and less blissful) story follows each Hallmark-ending kiss once the credits have rolled.  It is important to remember that there are shadows within the light in every window and a struggle at the helm of each success.

My recent 20/20 vision of the far away world has also brought about a less-than-perfect view of the world right under my nose.  (Yes, I now need to wear reading glasses as I write this blog.)  This has reminded me that it is important to remember that there is life  beyond our fingertips, in fact more than the eye can even see.  We are each but a tiny twig sprouting from a multitude of greater branches, and there is beauty to be found when you behold the rest of the picture.  Sometimes, we need to take a moment to witness the beauty of the bigger picture to bring joy to the world that is close to our hearts.

So in the spirit of the holiday season, please join me today in seeing the beauty in the world around us, reaching out to those less fortunate than ourselves.  May your cups be half full and your grass be ever green, and may your world glisten with a sparkle of hope for the coming year...

Happy Holidays - Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

No comments: