Sunday, January 22, 2017

Election – We Are In This Thing Together



All my life, I have been an optimist – a glass half full, sunshine and roses, balance and harmony kind of girl.  My sights are usually set on the positive, anything can happen, watch for the miracles side of a situation.  I truly believe that people are inherently good and want to do the right thing.

But once in a while, we are faced with situations where it may be hard to see the sunshine through the rain.  I have seen my share of hard times.  There are moments I wish I could take back, things I wish I could have changed and challenges where I managed to come out stronger on the other side.  Somehow, the sun continues to shine and my glass remains half full.  One piece that has helped pull me through each situation is having others to lean on, a sense of family and a confidence in knowing that there will always be someone there to catch me when I fall. 

Some days may seem scary and impossible – like you’re in a no-win situation.  Some may see the recent election and inauguration as an example, while some others may disagree.  But regardless of our opinions, our rights, our race or our wealth, we need to have each others’ backs.  Right or wrong, good or bad, Republican or Democrat, we are all Americans and we are in this thing together.  

Trust is always very important.  Sometimes, despite the way a situation may look on the surface, we need to trust that people have good intentions and are doing what they feel to be right.  We all make mistakes and sometimes our emotions may be our own worst enemy.  We have to trust each other; trust our leaders, our spouses, our children, and ourselves.  Trust in God.

That’s not to say that we don’t need to stand up for what we believe in.  We definitely do!  It is important to do what we can to remain in control of our own futures, our relationships, our communities and our country.  We may march for a cause we believe in, stand up for ourselves and our children, fight for or end a relationship or leave a dead-end job.  Whatever the situation, we all have an obligation to both ourselves and those we love to strive to make our world a better place.  But let’s do it with grace and dignity – let’s not tear each other down in the process.   

Life is short!  There is no promise of tomorrow … so we must do what we can today.  Trust that there is good in others and good in the world.  Take a stand to make a change, and then trust in the process and find peace.  We are here for each other.  Now let go and let God!

No comments: